Things are moving along in the basement. We decided to use a bench-footing technique to gain more headroom. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, "bench-footing" is similar to "underpinning" which are both basically just fancy pants construction words for the process of lowering the basement floor.
In our last post I mentioned that we've been biding our time until the windows arrive. As you know, up until now, we've primarily been focusing our construction efforts on the main living space of the house. But now that we've got a little time to burn, we're switching our focus to the basement.
You might have noticed things on the construction front have come to a bit of a standstill lately. Well they haven't entirely - we've merely switched our focus from the main area of the house to another. More on that in a bit - but first here are a few of the lessons we've learned in the last several weeks:
You may have noticed that we've been a little quiet on the house front for the last couple of weeks. Well, you're right. We have, and the main reason: WINTER. Now on a normal year, we aren't winter's biggest fans, but this year we're especially bitter as the sudden influx of full blown arctic weather has essentially thrown our construction schedule to the wolves!